Each year, software corporation SAS Institute hosts a highly anticipated golf tournament and charity event to welcome the PGA TOUR’s Champions Tour and showcase the golf community, and the SAS Championship 2018 was no exception. Held October 8th through October 14th at the Prestonwood Country Club in Cary, NC, the tournament featured the world’s top golfers over the age of 50. The 54-hole competition, played on a hybrid of the 18-hole Highlands Course and Meadows Course, offered a $2.1 million purse.
Hall of Fame member Bernhard Langer secured a six-stroke victory over Scott Parel after Parel matched him with a final round 65. Langer, who previously won the SAS Championship in 2012, is one of only three competitors to become a two-time winner. Defending Champion Colin Montgomerie tied for 21st place.
The week-long event included several community activities as well:
- Executive Women’s Day, a full-day forum with keynote address, panel discussion, and networking opportunities
- O2 Fitness 5K, which allows racers to run, jog, or walk along the golf course
- PNC Family Challenge Clinic, a family-focused golf clinic and Champions Tour pro meet & greet
- WakeMed Health Zone, a health and wellness tent offering free health screenings and health education
- Folds of Honor Golf Marathon, a 24-hour golf marathon to raise awareness and donations to the Folds of Honor Foundation
- Food Truck Friday, a round-up of delicious and varied food truck offerings
SAS Championship 2018 exceeded the $4 million threshold of donations to area youth educational initiatives, which will be contributed to host charity YMCA of the Triangle. WithersRavenel is proud to have sponsored the event as a corporate partner, and to attend alongside our long-time associates and friends at Preston Development Company. Despite the challenges brought on by Hurricane Michael, the event was a huge success, and we look forward to seeing everyone again next year!